A 57-storey tower is proposed by Westbank to be built beside a restored First Baptist Church on Burrard
Outcome: City Council voted 7 vs 1 to approve this proposal during a Council meeting on July 26, 2017.
On June 27, 2017, City Council referred this application to Public Hearing based on a staff report.
Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 6 pm
Vancouver City Hall, Council Chambers
Official rezoning full information on the application: http://rezoning.vancouver.ca/applications/969burrard/index.htm
Staff report and recommendation to Council (June 27), including Policy Report and Appendices: Click here and look for “969 Burrard.” “This report evaluates an application to amend CD-1 (445) for the site at 969 Burrard Street and 1019-1045 Nelson Street to permit a development which includes a 57-storey market residential tower, expanded program space for The First Baptist Church, a seven-storey social housing building, and seismic upgrading and interior restoration to the existing heritage church building.”
Anyone with comments about this application (support/opposed/other) can e-mail to Mayor and Council on record at email@example.com, or request to speak.
Note: A group of local residents says they will meet in the church parking lot for a short exchange of information at 5 pm on Sunday, July 9 [note date correction]. Feel free to show up, or write firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
For earlier visual images and description of the project see Changing City Updates.
Key parameters of the project from March 10, 2016 application (from rezoning page, but note further changes below):
The City of Vancouver has received an application to rezone 969 Burrard Street & 1019-1045 Nelson Street from CD-1 (445) (Comprehensive Development) to a new CD-1 District. The proposal includes:
- restoration of First Baptist Church;
- new church ancillary spaces, including a 37-space child daycare, a gymnasium, a counselling centre, offices and a cafe;
- a new eight-storey building [revised to seven] containing 66 [revised to 61] social housing units, owned by the church;
- a new 56-storey tower [revised to 57 storeys] containing 294 market strata [revised to 331] residential units, with a cafe at ground floor [cafe later removed];
Other key parameters of the proposal include:
- a combined total new floor area of approximately 561,881 sq.ft. [Note: figure needs to be updated to reflect revised application]
- a floor space ratio (FSR) of approximately 11.27 [Note: the rezoning web page indicates 10.83, but 11.27 appears to be the revised number. See below.]
- 497 underground vehicle parking spaces [needs updating?]
WEN comment on FSR: Referring to beginning of the June 27 staff report, the applicant seeks “… to increase the permitted floor space ratio (FSR) from 2.87 FSR to 11.27 FSR and the building height from 75.6 m (248 ft.) to 169.5 m (556 ft.)”