Residents who attended our Special Forum on City’s Draft Community Plan for the West End on August 28 (see summary report here) heard references to the “Neighbourhood Champions Network.” City Hall created the NCN (official details are here) “to help the City spread the word and encourage wide participation in the public engagement process of the West End Community Plan.” This meeting tonight might be good chance to follow up on issues raised at the August 28 WEN forum.
West End Neighbourhood Champions Network Meeting
Thursday, September 5, 2013
6:30 to 8:30 pm
West End Community Centre (Bidwell Room) 870 Denman St
- 6:30 pm – Mingling/networking and eating (pizza and salads provided)
- 6:45 pm Introductions – City staff – NCN members
- 7:00 pm Plan update: Process, outreach, directions, next steps
- 7:20 pm Discussion and call to action
- 8:00 pm Q & A
- 8:15 pm Wrap-up and thank you
- 8:30 pm Session ends
Anyone is able to join the NCN. If you are interested, please write the planning team at firstname.lastname@example.org or sign up online here:
Extra information from WEN:
- Vancouver’s traditional approach to community consultation involved a “Community Liaison Group” consisting of residents, and the CLG had powers and obligations, formal oversight and critiquing functions. But as the City recognized no such group for the West End process, the NCN is one of the only options to discuss the plan and its processes.
- Our summary report from the August 28 forum carries many points and unanswered questions, perhaps worth consideration in tonight’s meeting.
- To focus discussion a bit more, here are three important questions WEN offers for the NCN to consider tonight.
- What practical opportunities will there be for the public to provide input on the draft plan, prior to it going to Council? Will time be available to contemplate changes to the draft plan provisions? Or is the draft plan being provided to the public simply for information?
- Is the City going to provide details on zoning changes and density provisions in the draft plan? (Little information in this regard has been provided to date.)
- Will the City being providing any 3-D representations of development potential for individual sites, or for the neighbourhood as a whole? Based on recent public comment, these representations allow the best opportunity for residents to engage and to understand the practical outcomes of the plan provisions.
Here is the August 16, 2013, initial notice of this meeting from the West End planning team (with bold by WEN to highlight main points):
We hope you’ve been having a great summer and enjoying the beautiful weather.
The West End Community Plan is currently being drafted based on the plan directions that were shared with the community in June.
As we move towards the fall, we’d like to invite you to a meeting on September 5th with the West End Neighbourhood Champions Network (details below). We will share updates on the planning process, highlights of our recent outreach and engagement, and other key updates since the last NCN meeting. We will also seek your advice on how we can best share the draft plan in October, before Council consideration in November.
Additionally, we’d like to hear from you about what you are hearing from your networks about the plan directions.
A more detailed agenda will be sent out before the meeting.
Pizza, salads and water will be provided.
Please RSVP so we know the number of attendees.
Eventbrite – Sept. 5th West End NCN Meeting
Date: September 5, 2013 (Thursday)
Time: 6:30 to 8:30 pm
Location: Bidwell Room, West End Community Centre (870 Denman St)
West End Planning Team
ABOUT THE WEST END COMMUNITY PLAN
In April 2012, the City initiated a new Community Planning process for the West End. When completed, the plan will provide long-range guidance on a variety of issues – including housing, transportation, parks and public space, social issues, arts, culture, heritage and more. The new plan will replace the older West End Commercial Policy Plan (1986) and West End Residential Areas Policy Plan (1987).
For information on our planning work to date, upcoming events and opportunities for public involvement, please stay in touch via the following means:
Web & List-serv sign-up: vancouver.ca/westendplan