Community open house for public input
Monday, February 16, 2015 (5 to 8 pm)
The Coast Plaza Hotel and Suites
Henriquez Partners, on behalf of Westbank Developments, has taken over this rezoning application and revised the proposal to rezone the site to CD-1:
- 21 storey tower, max. height 58 m (190 ft)
- 171 rental units, including 43 studios, 51 one-bedroom, 72 two-bedroom, and 3 three-bedroom units.
- A proposed density of 6.55 FSR (floor space ratio)
This site has a bit of a history. It set off a storm in the West End back in 2008 when a proposal to rezone the site for a condo tower resulted in a big outcry, a town hall meeting, and political promises. Concern about the City’s plans for the future of this neighbourhood let to a 13,000+ signature petition by West End Neighbours, a virtual freeze on spot rezonings, a community plan process, and a neighbourhood-wide rezoning. See a short chronology here: https://westendneighbours.wordpress.com/other-rezonings/1754-pendrell/
Now the owners and architect have changed. Westbank Projects Corp built the 22-storey “The Lauren” at Comox and Broughton after demolishing St. John’s Church. CEO Ian Gillespie appears to have acquired the site and is partnering with Henriquez Partners Architects (also architect for “The Lauren” as well as “The Alexandra” on the former site of Maxine’s at Davie and Bidwell, and other buildings in the West End). This new proposal appears to be moving ahead.
The Urban Design Panel, an advisory body for City Council, unanimously rejected the designs proposed for a 21-storey tower on this site back in 2010, so it will be interesting to see how the UDP views the current proposal.
We encourage neighbours and anyone interested in this application to attend the Open House and stay involved. Rental units are being proposed. How will they be priced? What will be the positive and negative impacts on the community? How will neighbours be affected?
Some basic details are below, copied from the City’s rezoning web page: http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/planning/rezoning/applications/
REVISED Rezoning Application – 1754-1772 Pendrell Street
Henriquez Partners, on behalf of Westbank Developments, has taken over this rezoning application and revised the proposal to rezone the site from RM-5A (Multiple Dwelling) District to CD-1 (Comprehensive Development) District. The application proposes the following:
- A 21 storey tower, with a maximum height of 58m (190 ft)
- 171 rental units, including 43 studios, 51 One-Bedroom, 72 Two-Bedroom, and 3 Three-Bedroom units.
- A proposed density of 6.55 FSR
A community open house is scheduled from 5 – 8 pm on Monday, February 16, 2015 at The Coast Plaza Hotel and Suites, 1763 Comox Street, with the applicant team and City staff available to answer questions.
You can still provide comments by filling out our online feedback form.
Revised Application (January 26, 2015)
- Project Information and Context Plan (831kb)
- Building Elevations (8.69mb)
- Building Sections (3.37mb)
- Floor Plans (8.78mb)
Previous Application (May, 2010)
- Project Information and Context Plan (552kb)
- Project Information (106kb)
- Building Elevation Drawings (905kb)
- Building Section Drawings (415kb)
- Floor Plans (showing rental units) (771kb)
- Previous notification of Rezoning Application and Open House (86kb)
- West End Community Plan (16.85mb)
- RM-5, RM-5A, RM-5B and RM-5C (Multiple Dwelling) District Schedule (174kb)
- West End RM-5, RM-5A, RM-5B and RM-5C Guidelines (760kb)
To view additional plans please make an appointment with the rezoning planner.
City Contact: Dwayne Drobot, Rezoning Planner,firstname.lastname@example.org, 604.871.6738
Applicant Contact: Peter Wood, Henriquez Partners Architects, 604.687.5681