Westenders may be interested in knowing that the UDP, an influential advisory body to City Council, will be reviewing an application by Westbank Projects Corp (CEO Ian Gillespie) for a 43-storey tower at 1550 Alberni. Details are as follows.
Urban Design Panel
Wednesday, December 2, 2015
Meeting starts at 3 pm, and 1550 Alberni is up at 4:15 pm
Official details from the agenda follow further below. Three other applications are also being discussed in the meeting, one being the Vancouver Art Gallery.
We have covered this application before: “Pre-application” open house (June 29, 2015), and public open house (November 3, 2015). This UDP meeting is another step toward the rezoning at a Public Hearing at an as-yet unknown date. In some cases, the UDP raises issues for the applicant to address before it comes back a second time for another vote. For more about the UDP please visit the official City page here.
4:15 pm Address: 1550 Alberni Street
Description: To construct a 43-storey mixed-use building, including 188 residential units with retail at grade.
Zoning: DD to CD-1
Application Status: Rezoning Application
Architect: Merrick Architecture (Greg Borowski)
Staff: Linda Gillan and Colin King
Full set of rezoning information.
Copied directly from City website, 1-Dec-2015.
Rezoning Application – 1550 Alberni Street
The City of Vancouver has received an application to rezone 1550 Alberni Street from DD (Downtown) District to CD-1 (Comprehensive Development) District. The proposal is for a 43-storey residential building with commercial uses at street level, including:
- a maximum building height of 133 m (436 ft.);
- a total of 188 residential units;
- a floor space ratio (FSR) of 14; and
- 271 underground parking spaces.
This rezoning application is being considered under the Rezoning Policy for the West End and the
West End Community Plan.
A community open house was held from 5:00-8:00pm on Tuesday, November 3, 2015 at 1550 Alberni Street (2nd Floor) with the applicant team and City staff available to answer questions.
You can provide comments by filling out our online feedback form.
Application (September 11, 2015)
- Letter of Intent (310kb)
- Project Statistics (74kb)
- Building Renderings (2.78mb)
- Site and Context (3.29mb)
- Parking Plans (912kb)
- Floor Plans (2.95mb)
- Building Elevations (2.86mb)
- Building Sections (1.06mb)
- Landscape and Open Space Design (1.11mb)
- Shadow Analysis (921kb)
- Sustainability (5.17mb)
- Signage (537kb)
- Transportation Study (239kb)
- Design Rationale (2.63mb)
Advisory Group and Community Meetings
- Community Open House – Tuesday, November 3, 2015
- Urban Design Panel – Wednesday, December 2, 2015
- West End Community Plan (17.25mb)
- West End Community Plan Rezoning Policy (155kb)
- Downtown Official Development Plan (2.09mb)
- Downtown (except Downtown South) Design Guidelines (100kb)
- Green Buildings Policy for Rezonings (198kb)
To view additional plans please make an appointment with the rezoning planner.
City Contact: Linda Gillan, Rezoning Planner, firstname.lastname@example.org, 604.673.8281
Applicant Contact: Gregory Borowski, Merrick Architecture, 604.683.4131 ex. 125