A development application sign has just gone up at the Safeway store at 1661 Davie Street (and Cardero) for two towers above a re-built Safeway store.
This is the first public notice about this Davie Safeway application. No Public Hearing is required, as City Council “pre-zoned” this site in connection with the West End Community Plan in 2013. Two more towers recently approved (also with no Public Hearing required thanks to the WECP) are on the same block: 23 storeys on the London Drugs parking lot at 1668 Davie, and 22 storeys above what is now Mac’s at 1188 Bidwell). The four-person Development Permit Board at City Hall will approve the project on May 3, 2016. In practice, public input is generally limited to minor design details for projects like these.
Below are excerpts of the City web page.
Open House (applicant team and City staff present)
5 to 8 pm, Monday, February 29, 2016
Coast Plaza Hotel, 1763 Comox Street
Henriquez Partners Architects has applied for Westbank Projects Corp. to the City of Vancouver for permission to develop this site with a mixed-use building consisting of:
• a 3 storey podium with three (3) retail units on the lower & upper ground level;
• a retail grocery store on the upper ground & mezzanine level;
• two residential towers containing a total of 319 dwelling units (market rental);
[21 and 23 storeys high, plus rooftop structures. The City’s published information does not state this very prominently.]
• 3 levels common underground parking, accessed off Davie St and the rear lane; and
• Total floor area of 28,405m2.
Under the site’s existing C5-A zoning, the application is “conditional” so it may be permitted; however, it requires the decision of the DPB set for this date:
Development Permit Board
3 pm, Monday, May 2, 2016
Town Hall Meeting Room (1st Floor, City Hall, 453 West 12th Avenue).
Provide comments by filling out the City’s online comment form.
Written comments should be received on or before March 29 , 2016, to be considered in the staff review. However, comments will be considered up until the date of decision.
Besides residents concerns or input on this specific application, citizens are welcome to contact Mayor and Council if you have comments regarding the overall process of the West End Community Plan and subsequent actions of the City:
- Notification postcard (58kb)
- Project Data (815kb)
- Design Rationale (6.96mb)
- Shadow and View Analysis (866kb)
- Parkade Plans (517kb)
- Lower & Upper Ground Floor Plans (660kb)
- South Elevation (1.40mb)
- East & West Elevations (637kb)
- North Elevation (444kb)
- Partial North Elevation (308kb)
- East & West Tower Elevations (547kb)
- Landscape Plan (23.97mb)
City contact: Wendy LeBreton, Project Facilitator,email@example.com, 604.871.6796